Monday, April 11, 2011

Paddy's Day Kenyan Style.

I woke up to a potato in my bed courtesy of my roommate Connie, part of her ongoing plan to make restitution for the famine. Started the day by teaching my kids to speak Irish and encouraging them to chase the other Irish volunteer shouting "Conas a ta tu?!" We also sang Molly Malone and Istigh sa zu (complete with actions) then had a bit of confusion when my American teaching partner insisted on mentioning leprechauns. He drew quite a good picture on the board, then stood back beaming proudly as I fielded the questions-No they're not real, its just a story. No, Irish people dont steal gold from dwarfs. Im not sure who made it up, but I promise it really is just a story. Yes I know he shouldnt be smoking a pipe, it is terribly bad for your lungs, quite right Bonface.............Yanks. :)

We headed to Mombasa's Irish pub, Murphy's, which usually contains a handful of Kenyans and the occasional hopeful American. Tonight however, there was an actual Irish person! Spent a lot of time excitedly shouting the usual Just-met-a-fellow-Irishman-abroad lingo: "Where are ya from? Jays its a small world hah? What are ya havin?" He then proceeded to argue with my fellow volunteers that volunteering is ultimately pointless and stupid, quite enraging a number of them. I however was in the middle of  stealing a green felt fedora and was thus blissfully unaware of the drama as I busted my moves while miming to angry African rap.. I was also unaware of the camera, as evidenced by the stunning pic below.Twas a good night-it even rained. :)

I'm not sure what move this is...

No comments:

Post a Comment