Thursday, April 14, 2011

Crocodile Farm Trip

It's the Easter holidays here so the kids are off school. We run a holiday camp and they get to go on school tours, it's all very exciting. Im usually teaching in Olives but I'm in Precious for the holiday camp. It's been really cool to see both schools and to meet the kids I've been hearing so much about. It's very different to Olives, much smaller and calmer.
It's been a good week: Monday was our music workshop, Tuesday was sports day, Wednesday was arts and crafts and today was the trip to the crocodile farm. I got my kids dancing to the Smashing Pumpkins and Stevie Wonder on music day, won the 3 legged staff race on Tuesday and made a lot of very noisy rain shakers on Wednesday which were then shaken very vigorously in my ears until I snapped and ordered quiet time. :)
The crocodile farm was cool, the kids walked all the way there-all 76 of them-down the main road in the blazing sun with no complaints. There were LOADS of crocodiles, I was elbowing kids out of the way to get a decent look! They loved it, there were newborn teeny tiny crocs, freakily still and evil looking teenage crocs and massive, ancient reptiles that looked like armoured trucks with teeth. We also got to see and hold a snake which again, I got overexcited about. I hurried to the front and the guide asked me very nicely if the children could go first. I was magnimonious enough to permit it.



The highlight of the day was a pair of mating tortoises which I have to admit was quite intriguing. It seems like such a lot of effort, one has to admire the persistence of a species in the face of such adversity. The gentleman tortoise of an amorous nature has to contend with the equivilent of a very small lady hiding under a giant tub whilst attempting to carry a similar tub on his own back. It probably didnt help that a 3rd tortoise (sex unknown) kept butting him determinedly with its head. We eventually dragged the kids away and made it back to school with the same number of children we left with, which in my book is a successful school trip. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment