Monday, August 8, 2011

Last Day in Olives.

It was strange walking through the village for the last time, trying to savour every last "How ahh yoo!" and imprint it in my memory. The effect was spoiled somewhat by my flipflop's tendency to flick mud in my face and a near heart attack when a large chicken leapt at me.
There were hardly any kids in school as it was the first day of the holiday programme, but a few more trickled in and we set off for a field trip to Fort Jesus. The kids were brilliant, really well behaved. When it was time to head off I said goodbye to Mr Tony and Mr Michael, both of whom said many lovely things.  I was looking around for Standard 5 when I heard Fikiri bellow "CLASS FIVE! TO THE CLASSROOM PLEASE!" He took me firmly by the arm and politely requested that I follow him. Bemused, I walked into the class to find the kids sitting in a circle waiting. Fikiri cleared his throat and began.
"Madam, when you work with a thief, you become a thief. When you work with a lazy person, you become a lazy person. But when you work with someone active, you become active. You Madam have been so active and so good and you have made standard 5 active and good also. Now we must have a new teacher, and what if they are lazy?"
"Or a thief?" interjected Joseph Katana.
I welled up slightly and reassured them that it was their choice to work hard and be respectful and that they would be a wonderful class regardless of the teacher (who I am sure will be neither lazy nor prone to felony.) I hugged them all and they wished me a safe journey. As I walked out the gate feeling lonely, Joseph Reuben came running after me. He linked his arm in mine, smiled and said "Madam, you cannot walk alone on your last day. Let me walk with you." We walked to the end of the village and hugged, both of us a bit teary. I told him how proud I am of him and made him promise to behave himself if his new teacher is pretty. He laughed and told me to hurry back to make sure class 5 are being good, and that he knew I would remember them as they will remember me.
I almost made it home with my dignity intact until I heard a little voice call "Madam!" I turned around and saw Shaban, the tiniest, sweetest kid in St 5. He hugged me and I said it was my last day. He looked at me like I was a bit slow and said "Yes Madam, I know, that is why I have come." I thanked him and told him how much I will miss him. He nodded, hugged me again and ran off shyly. I walked home slowly, my heart breaking a little.
It was never going to be easy to leave, and it was such a lovely goodbye, I'm glad it was a nice last day. It hasn't really sunk in yet, I don't think it will until I'm actually on the plane. It's not goodbye for good though. I couldn't forget Olives if I tried.








1 comment:

  1. They know how to send you off don't they, little buggers near break your heart.

    Hope to see you soon,:) Connie xxx

    ReplyDelete